Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It Really IS Mind Over Matter...

A while back in this blog, I talked about finding a new "default"...a new normal that I could revert to when my life gets stressful and I don't want to do the things I know I should do. 

Today has been one of those days.  Really, this school year feels a whole lot like it's going to be one of those years!  Don't get me wrong...I love my class. Truly, I do.  But this particular group of 10 year olds is really making my best become a lot better. They are not a group where OK is good enough...I have to be on my "A Game" every day, and that's so tiring.  I don't mind that...not at all.  It comes with the job.  But it IS stressful.  Today in particular was highly stressful. 

I got home from work and the stress increased about tenfold because my kitchen exploded all over the place.  Seems like I'm the only one around here who is willing to do dishes and clean messes in that room.  Even ones I don't make.  It's like these boys are allergic to that dishwasher! So, after dealing with the dishes and mixing the meatloaf to put in the oven, I sat down to rest before going to the gym.

Here's what I tweeted earlier tonight... "Sitting here ready to fall asleep. Know I should be getting up and going to the gym, but having a tough time actually DOING it! UGH!"

But then guess what I did, friends?  I got up and went. 

For about 20 seconds I considered NOT going to the gym.  But then something in my head kicked in and got my butt up off this couch!  I have a very busy weekend that is not going to allow me too much gym time.  I know that, have known it all week long and have tried very hard to push myself as much as I'm able in the gym early this week because of it.  Tonight was a scheduled gym night.  There was no physical reason why I shouldn't have gone like there was last week.  I just didn't want to. 

But I did.

My new default. 

When the stress kicked in, I didn't let my mind talk me out of going.  I didn't feed myself excuses for staying home, no matter how stressed out I was from the day.  The only REAL reason that I would have had for staying out of the gym tonight would be injury...and I'm not injured right now.  I belonged in that gym, whether I wanted to be there or not.  And so I went. 

That's what defaults are all about.  They kick in when the system has been overloaded and you need to get back to normal.  For me, working out is the new, healthy, necessary normal.  And when the stress boiled over today, instead of defaulting in my old pattern...sitting in front of the television and vegging out...my NEW default kicked in and I went to work out.

It really is a case of mind over matter.  I've allowed my mind to be renewed.  My favorite book of the Bible is Romans.  Chapter 12 talks about not conforming to this world, but instead being transformed by renewing our minds.  I can honestly say, I'm getting there.  At least in this one area of my life, my mind has been transformed and renewed. 

And it feels incredible!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lemme know what you're thinking...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...