Thursday, September 1, 2011

Who Do You Think You Are???

I've got a really good intern this year...which is a big blessing!  She's great with the students and seems to be a real natural at teaching.  But what I love most about her is how she listens.  I happened to mention casually that I enjoy collecting quotes, and today she found me a doozy! 

"It's not who you are that holds you back.  It's who you think you're not." ~ Anonymous

First of all, let me say that if I were the one who first spoke this, I'd have claimed credit for it!  Come on Mr. (or Ms.) Anonymous!  This is an amazing quote!  You should have told us who you were so we could thank you!

And let me tell you...this quote is so, so true!!!  Our minds are incredibly powerful things. When we feed ourselves negatively phrased statements, we begin to believe them and live them.

"I'm not good at sticking to a diet." 
 No...you're not.
      "I'm not a runner." 
       No...you're not.
                "I'm not ever going to understand this."
                 No...you're not.
                         "I'm not gonna ever lose this weight."
                          No...you're not.
                                   "I'm not able to walk a mile."
                                    No...you're not.

What we think about ourselves and our abilities...who we are...is powerful.  When you think and say you can't or don't or won't or aren't...then you're right!  Attitude really is everything.  What you think determines what you are.  And what you're not.  What you tell yourself is who you will be.

So who do you think you are?  Do you see your value right here, right now in your present condition? Can you speak it with truth and conviction?  I sure hope so!  I'm still working on all this stuff myself.  But I know this...the more I can speak positivity into my life, the more it becomes who I am. 

It's not who I am that holds me back...it's who I think I'm not.  And really, friends...I'm becoming convinced the more I walk this journey...there's NOTHING I can't do and NO ONE I can't be if I want it badly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lemme know what you're thinking...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...