Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Regrouping...

Today was a time to regroup...to revise the plan for reaching my goals.  Sometimes you just have to do that, I've discovered.  With the flare up of my arthritis in the left knee and no real idea of when it might ease up...although it is getting a bit better with therapy and time...I have to get back to workouts.  They are just different than what I'm used to and focusing on different aspects of my fitness.  I'm working on strengthening and toning several muscle groups right now, rather than doing heavy cardio workouts.  The knee just won't allow me to work hard enough to raise my heart rate.  Not yet.

Initially, this felt like a big setback to me. But what I'm coming to realize is that there's more than one way to reach my goals.  This flare up is really just an opportunity for me to be more creative in how I get there!  So here's what I'm doing...

  • STRETCHING...STRETCHING...and more STRETCHING!!!  Not only does this feel good, but it is necessary to help my knees continue to be functional.  Therefore, I'm doing it.  A lot!
  • Low intensity walking or biking...my current directions from Angie are no more than a 5/10 on the pain scale.  I am very familiar with what this feels like and when I hit this level, I stop.  Period.  I can push through pain that is less than a 5, but for now, I can't push past it.
  • Strength training...remember, muscle burns more calories than fat does while doing absolutely nothing.  Angie already taught us that lesson!  So I'm focusing on building more muscles.  That's what all those ab crunches are about.  My abdominal muscles are SCREAMING at me right now...but they're strengthening!  And having my body work for me rather than against me in burning calories is a great thing.
Regrouping isn't a dirty word.  It's a necessary response to circumstances that are beyond your control. It's actually a very healthy thing to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lemme know what you're thinking...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...