Friday, July 15, 2011

Learning New Things Every Day....

No...not me.  Not YET! 

So, last night I DID go to the gym and worked out.  I actually did 3.6 miles on the bike in 10 minutes...a leisurely pace that opened up my knee a bit, but didn't overly stress it.  It felt good to be on the bike since I wasn't planning on doing it at all.  But with Angie there working out with me, I knew if I totally trashed the knee she'd be right there to help if I needed it, so I gave it a shot... with her blessing!  Can I tell you how WONDERFUL it is to have your PT become your great friend and training partner?!?!  She's a HUGE blessing in my life!



She also taught me new things last night.  Resistance/Weight training will be just as useful for me in the long run as cardio fitness will be.  Honestly, I haven't really given the same kind of effort to my circuit training as I have been to my treadmill and cycling.  I've seen such incredible weight loss in the past few months since I began working out in the gym as well as the pool, and I attribute most of it to the improvement of my cardio fitness and my ability to really work hard now on the treadmill and bike.  Obviously, since I still have a lot of weight to lose to reach my goal, I have been focusing on the things that I believe are making me drop weight quickest.  Also, I'm training for a 5K in late September, and the bike and treadmill are really great ways to do that.

What Angie taught me, though, was that cardio workouts are only one part of what I need going on in my training.  I also need to be replacing fat with muscle...and that comes from resistance/weight training.  Did you know that muscles burns calories for you...WHILE YOU'RE SITTING STILL?!?!?  I had NO idea!!!  Like more than 7 TIMES more calories are burned by muscle!  WOW!  This is how fit people stay trim and lean...they burn way more calories during the day...sometimes without doing anything at all!  (Well...there's a lot more to it in all fairness...but still...this is a CLEAR advantage to having muscle versus having fat!)

So, last night, I was really working out just as effectively when I used the machines for weight training as I do when I'm pouring sweat on the bike and treadmill.  I was just working on a different aspect of my overall fitness.  The scale isn't going to be the best measurement of my success and progress this week, I suspect.  I'm not too sure it's going to move much.  My pedometer isn't really registering a lot of steps for me while I'm resting my left knee!  But I do believe I'm still working in the right direction.  Maybe now I even have a more clear vision of what that direction is.

Thanks, Angie, for the lesson!  You rock!

2 comments:

  1. Hey...YOU taught the lesson! I just wrote about it! Thanks for the new tips! And for being such an incredibly wonderful person in general...you really DO rock!!!

    ReplyDelete

Lemme know what you're thinking...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...