Tuesday, July 5, 2011

You Don't Know Your Limits...

...until you push past them!

I learned this lesson first hand tonight.  I have goals...lots of them.  And I focus on them every day.  But that's only part of this change.  The other part is being willing to push myself.  Farther.  Harder.  Through pain. I used to believe I knew what my limits were.  But what I'm learning more and more every day is that what I thought were my physical limits were really only mental ones.  And that's an important distinction.



You see, I had convinced myself that there were things I could not do with the physical limitations that my bad knees and excess weight put on me.  Therefore, I didn't push myself farther that what I thought...I never let myself find the wall.  I stopped far, far short of it to play it safe.  Now, though, I refuse to accept there are things I can't do. If I'm willing to work hard to achieve what I want, there really is nothing that will stop me from doing what I want to do.  And so I push myself.  And I won't settle for NOT pushing the limits.  Tonight, that ended up with me walking farther...at a faster pace...than I've ever done on the treadmill.  In about 12 weeks, that pushing is going to get me to the finish line of my first 5K.

Yes, I am still obese.  Yes, I am still FAR from my ultimate goals.  But pushing myself is how I'm going to get there.  I'm convinced of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lemme know what you're thinking...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...